Friday, November 2, 2012

School Closing

Dear Famlies,

As you are aware, school will be closed again tomorrow, Friday November 2, 2012 and will reopen on Monday, November 5, 2012. Also, please know that school will NOT be closed on Tuesday, November 6. Previously, the staff was due to attend a conference that day, and will we not be going. This will be a regular day of school with after school. I will be examining the calendar and announcing other changes to make up some of the days we have lost.



I am aware that some of you have wondered why we are closed when the Astoria community has already rebounded from that storm. Please know that I have been monitoring the situation and have made my decisions based on information from the mayor's office, the NYC Department of Education, and information provided by the Lutheran Schools Association, in consultation with our teaching and support staffs, and Pastor James. There are many factors to consider beyond whether the building has heat and power or not. Some of these other issues include pupil transportation and adequate teaching coverage to name just some of the other factors.



I am so glad to hear that so many of you came through the storm safely. That is great! I would like to thank you for your paitience during a very difficult time for us all.



Finally, I would like to thank those of you who sent me emails expressing your concern for me and my family. I am happy to report that although I live on the South Shore, my house is far enough away from the water and escaped the devastation experienced by so many of my neighbors on the south end of town.



Thank you again, and I'll see you on Monday.



Sincerely,

Mary E. Leake

Director

Astoria Lutheran School

31-20-21st Avenue

Astoria, NY 11105